Note: This page is a reproduction of the Hillary for America policy proposal on voting rights.
Ever since the Supreme Court eviscerated key provisions of the Voting Rights Act in 2013, Republican governors and legislatures across the country have proposed and passed laws making it harder to vote, systemically disempowering millions of voters—particularly people of color, poor people, and young people. At a time when so many Americans are disenfranchised, that’s the opposite of what we should be doing. Hillary Clinton believes we must take action to restore the Voting Rights Act and do everything we can to make it easier—not harder—for Americans to vote. And she believes that all American citizens, no matter where they reside, should have the right to vote for the president of the United States.
As president, Hillary will:
- Automatically register voters. Hillary will work so that every citizen is automatically registered to vote when they turn 18, unless they opt out, and make sure that voter registration rolls are accurate and secure.
- Repair the Voting Rights Act. Hillary will fight to restore the portions of the Voting Rights Act that were struck down by the Supreme Court to make sure that all citizens enjoy the full protections they deserve—especially in states where they have been disproportionately targeted by laws that restrict voting access to the polls. She will fight back against harmful restrictions on voting across the country, so that minority voters, young people, low-income voters, seniors, and women are equally capable as others at expressing their voices and their votes in our democracy.
- Set a national standard for early voting. In an effort to reduce long lines and give more people with family or work obligations an opportunity to vote, Hillary will set a national standard for early voting, giving voters at least 20 days to vote in the evenings or on weekends before election day.
- Restore voting rights. Americans who have paid their debts to society and have served their sentences should have the right to vote, and Hillary will support legislation to make sure their voting rights are restored.
- Take action. Hillary will implement the recommendations of the president’s bipartisan commission to improve voting.